When making decisions about how to spend our time here, I ask myself, 'what is really important?' to me? to the family? to the kids? to our values?
Immersing ourselves in nature comes to mind because that's when we exercise, feel calm and take the time to look around.
Being in nature has so much to teach in and of itself.
As observers and participants, we take mental pictures, we document & imprint on our minds & our souls-discover, process, make conclusions, ask questions and carry these thoughts, images and ideas with us.
This shapes what and how we think, who we are and who we become.
Both philosophically and literally, I want to be outside in nature more than not-however, logistical or fear-based considerations and daily tasks seem to pull me inside more than I would like at times.
This is the way it was at home too and at times how it is for me on the trip. But, today I sense courage, motivation and excitement building.
This makes me want to face my freeway fears even more and get up and go!
There are so many options to choose when you are in an unfamiliar place, it's hard to know where to start. Plus, the recommendations that everyone says you 'must' do while in California. But, as I take the time to reflect, (as I do yet again more laundry-ironically a daily task:)) it really becomes quite clear... Find things to do in nature and/or steeped in history. Avoid commercial traps-and really see, hear, touch and smell this place we are visiting.
Now, even commercial places have a significance in history-and some can be valuable, fun and educational... However, at the heart of me, I want to see evidence of life from years ago-imagine other lifestyles, life forms and ways of being. I want to explore historical and natural settings and watch the kids obsess about areas, people, places and activities they love most.
So, today we will go somewhere with our water & snacks, hiking shoes and hats- and see what we can find-outdoors within a natural setting ... the black tank and dishes can wait, my freeway fears can take a hike. :)))
No comments:
Post a Comment