Wednesday, December 24, 2008

I was Loved by Santa




Some kids scream and cry and rue the day their parents made them go and sit on Santa's knee for a photo opp and a wish list given...I was not one of those kids...When I was 2 years old, I was the kid in the line up for Santa saying, 'Mommy, I think Santa looks like Grandaddy!'

And well, we all know that Santa has his helpers. Turns out I was fortunate enough to have a Santa helper for a Grandfather. For a few years, my parents sent my Grandad with me to meet Santa as I had a handle on who Santa was a little too young for their liking...like many parents, they wanted the magic to last a little longer...

As time went on, I would go visit Grandad, I mean Santa... when he was working at Simpsons and we would have a secret chat up there in his big chair surrounded by toys and presents, elves and lights. It felt very warm and cozy up there on Santa's knee.

My Grandad was the greatest Santa's helper who ever lived! He had rosy cheeks, a friendly demeanor and the jolliest Ho Ho Ho there ever was (aside from the real article).

I will never forget my Grandad or these special moments and I enjoy looking back on them especially at this time of year.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Love up your family every chance you get...

1 comment:

Peter (Laurie's Dad) said...

Hi ! Laurie
Dad here ... I was reading both this story and also "Remembering Barry Brace" .... You really are a beautiful writer !! I think you should write a book. Let's hear from your other followers ... I bet they feel the same way !!! Love ya ... Merry Christmas to all Love the picture of reindeer Willow (December 24, 2008) 11p.m.