Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Unstructured Play


I'm reading a new book that I quite like called, Islands Apart: A Year on the Edge of Civilization by Ken Mc Alpine. This book is a travel writing/nature memoir of sorts.

The author goes on a journey to the Channel Islands in California to get away from the hectic, technology - driven world he lives in...essentially, he wants to go somewhere beautiful for some peace and quiet so he can hear his own thoughts and discover the raw beauty that is near his permanent home, but that he never really investigated before.

What was noteworthy for me regarding 'unstructured play' can be found at the beginning of the book as Mc Alpine reflects on the differences between how he spent time 'frogging' with his children when they were young as opposed to how little he currently sees them due to their busy, structured living.

He had interviewed a gentleman named Alvin Rosenfeld for an article he was writing on over scheduling our kids. Rosenfeld identified that kids in the 1950's had 2. 5 times more unstructured play than children two decades later. While parents are spending time with their kids today, one study showed that a lot of that time is spent in the car driving them around from one activity to another. Rosenfeld noted that in recent years, science has started to recognize the importance of free play in, 'fostering everything from imagination to the ability to cooperate with others.' These tools are obviously beneficial at any age. Rosenfeld stated that free time was essential. He goes on to say:

"Boredom is not necessarily bad. It can stimulate kids to think, create and hear soft murmurings of their inner voice, the one that makes them write the unusual story, draw the unique picture, or come up with the unusual thought."

The above quote really hit me. I've been more aware than ever of the value of free play and unplanned moments for the boyz as we have been unschooling for sometime now. Sometimes though, someone else articulates an observation or a conclusion I have made without me saying it out loud. I like this idea of 'boredom' or lack of structured activities as a 'stimulating' force. I get that. Kids don't always need adults to fill their time for them...fill their brains...fill every second. If you give them the time and sit back and watch, they may or may not do what you did growing up, but they do find creative things to do, they make their own observations and conclusions... they find themselves in an autonomous way...

In this busy world, I feel we could use more of our time for quiet-quiet reflection, time to watch the clouds go by, time to discover how it is we want to spend our days. Who has time to think on these things or just 'be' if every moment is dictated and planned for them. How are children really able to 'think for themselves' if someone else is always telling them what to do and cramming every second with an activity? Stimulation does not have to come in a mass pre- wrapped, pre-determined package... opportunities for self-discovery can promote unique individuals with individualized life maps that they can chart for themselves...

Now, I'm not negating the benefits of all activities out there... I just see the value in not feeling like we have to insert a 'stimulation' package into our kids lives in order for them to be 'well-rounded' individuals. If they become accustomed to having all of their time planned, I would suggest it may be difficult for them to find things to do on their own and exercise their imaginations. They wouldn't need to because it's been done for them. They could actually find it difficult to think up their own thoughts and ideas and become dependent on others for their own happiness and sense of self. Maybe not in all cases, but it's possible, right?

Kudos to Ken Mc Alpine for taking time out for himself.

Well, I guess that's my rant and reflection for the day... :)

I hope everyone can carve out some moments of nothingness today and feel at peace in the quiet.






2 comments:

laura said...

a wonderful and well articulated reflection, laur
i'm grateful to have read this to start my day with... we're off to the river for some unstructured play!
hope you enjoy yours...
xoxoooo

Show Us The World said...

I loved all of this. You write so beautifully and so often mirror my own thoughts on topics and this is no exception. One of the coolest gifts that unschooling has brought into my life is the understanding of the necessity of boredom in order to be a creative being. Boredom is such a great indicator that our minds, our spirits are asking for something new-something more. It is out of that, we then can figure out what now? And to see where it leads us. I often wonder what price children who are not allowed to be bored will pay in the end? Is this part of why addictions are growing in numbers-because people are so uneasy with that feeling and have been led to believe it is "bad" and will do anything to numb it? I don't know, but it does have me wondering.

It's also taught me to cherish my own "bored" times and see them simply as part of the process of learning, growing and broadening my interests.

Can you tell I'm passionate on the topic? ;o

Krystal