Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Road Tripping to British Columbia



Loveland, Colorado

Fog and Snow in Wyoming!

Wyoming


Still Wyoming!


Utah



Utah


Oregon


Washington-Wow!!!!!!
This was amazing!!!!



Well, what an adventure ... our road trip from Austin, Texas to Burnaby, British Columbia was filled with all kinds of weather, a mix of landscapes, curves, bumps and downgrades-never a dull moment (okay, yes dull moments in Kansas and Idaho). 

Highlights of our journey were Wyoming, Utah, Oregon and Washington. I don't even think I have one pic of Kansas and I believe I took one in Idaho- the 'Welcome to Idaho' sign! That says a lot! We stopped into the visitors center in Loveland, Colorado to find out if it would be realistic for us to visit the Rocky Mountain National Park, however, we learned that the ridge was closed due to 35 inches of snow! Bummer... the volunteer at the center suggested middle of June onward would be a good time to visit. Despite not being on a 'country road' en route, I couldn't help but have John Denver singing in my head as we went through Colorado :) I really don't think our route was indicative of the beauty of Colorado. I would still like to go there someday. 

Wyoming had more to offer in terms of a variety of landscape than one might think. May be worth visiting again in the future.... Utah was unique with a range of orange and green rocks.... and if what we saw on the side of the highway was any indication of the state, Utah is definitely worth visiting someday for sure... Oregon and Washington had some similarities and again, if what we saw on our route was any indication of the beauty of the rest of the state, we would love to spend some time in both places. We found them to be pretty and absolutely awe- inspiring. 

It has been lovely to see a plethora of trees with white and pink blossoms in Oregon, Washington and now in B.C. It's spring and the blossoms are beautiful!

The kids did a great job getting through our drive and pushed for us to keep keepin' on ... which allowed us to turn what we thought would be a 5 day drive into 3.5! 

We boondocked at 3 Wal Marts along the way which worked out really well... allowed us to drive longer when we had the energy and stop in a lit area with other truckers and RV'ers to rest without cost for the night!

Our trailer and vehicle also survived although we did get a hole in our sunroof vent the size of a Toonie due to hail! Ugh! 

I'm very proud of our whole family for pulling together and getting along to make the miles go by without too much trauma! :)

We are still reeling from the time zone changes and the quantity of stimulus, weather conditions and scenery we have taken in in the past few days.

The kids have already proclaimed this to be the best place yet, especially Lucas...

We look forward to exploring our new area, seeing our good friends, hanging with the Platt Family and will move to our next home in Fort Langley on May 22nd.


2 comments:

Show Us The World said...

It sounds like a whirlwind trip. I'm so impressed with the guys for doing so well with it.

I didn't realize you were settling down in bricks/sticks again. Can't wait to hear more details!

laurie l. goodman said...

It certainly was...I meant that we were moving to our next rv park 'home' :) who knows what the future holds! :)