Thursday, April 2, 2009

At the end of a LONG and WINDY road lives the BEST Snickerdoodle Cookie EVER!












Well, today was one of those days that starts out with intention towards a destination that never surfaces.

Yet, as I have learned and experienced so many times, just pick a direction and go-leads to the best surprises and moments of discovery...

In my attempt to avoid major highways, we took a long, long route, we thought would never end ... just as we were rethinking what we were doing a glorious sign came across our path-BAKERY, then it got even better, COFFEE, PIES, CAKES ... need I say more? So, we stopped at The Deutsch Apple in Blanco and had some yummy treats and drinks. What a lovely place-very homey!

We discovered we were less than half a mile to Blanco State Park, so we decided to go there. Of course our GPS has been highly perplexed in Texas, and today was no exception. She wanted us to enter a fire lane to get into the park- no can-do lady... I couldn't see another point of entry, so we drove into the little town and found another wonderful sign- VISITORS CENTER-OPEN... We were glad to go in as we were directed to a Nature Trail across the road that led into the park-and didn't have to pay an entry fee! Yippee! As we emerged from the trail, we found wildflowers, a waterfall, big old trees and many blue-rimmed butterflies fluttering about. It wasn't long before we found ducks, tadpoles, lizards, frogs, snakes, squirrels and more butterflies.

I love how the boys have adventures wherever they go...they pick up sticks and are thrilled to see wildlife and have space to play Star Wars ... Today, as you may have read from Lucas's journal entry, Lucas and Josh saved a froggie from near death! They were so excited about it! It's great to see their interest, enthusiasm and love of all living things. 

I was thinking, you know how toddlers love the tissue paper and boxes at their birthday sometimes more than what's inside? This trip, which includes so many mini-adventures and various forms of discovery... is like a humongous box full of tissue paper-let's put it that way... I thank my husband for this gift he has given our family, everyday! Our boyz will never forget it and neither will I!

1 comment:

Show Us The World said...

I LOVE snickerdoodles! What a great day you had and how cool for your sons that you are willing to take them on such fun adventures.

It's a good life, isn't it?