Sunday, July 17, 2011

Journal Entry: On Self Image


Have you ever walked in a room and felt the pressure of being scrutinized before you have even opened your mouth?

Have you ever avoided social situations so that you don't have to feel that pressure?

Do you have happiness and self-confidence in your own skin and in your own life, but then feel that get chipped away at by friends and family...the people who are supposed to love and accept you most?

I have.

There are times when I dread greetings.
In those first few moments...people can size up your state of wellness, worth and weight to determine if you are lazy, fit, happy or sad...and you are only complimented on if you exude the fit and happy persona.

I simply can't understand why our society continues to focus on and value outward appearance over a person's strengths, character and personality.

Thankfully, I have also walked in rooms whereby the people I am meeting are truly accepting of who I am, who hug me with open arms and don't base my worth as a person on my dress size, hairstyle or attire.

I can feel it either way. Words don't even need to be spoken.

I can only hope that my children experience more authentic acceptance than negativity in their lives, thus supporting them and giving them the confidence to love themselves just as they are in body, mind and soul.

1 comment: