This morning I watched a portion of a documentary called Rosie's Fantastic Voyage... with Rosie O'Donnell, her family and almost 2000 other Gay/Lesbian families along for the ride. The documentary was intended to show how loving and 'normal' these families are, supporting the idea that they should be afforded equal rights.
I was quite shocked to see the portion in the Bahamas where two angry local church groups protested homosexuality outside the cruise ship with such vehemence and disgust, it made some of the children cry.
In those moments, I was brought to tears myself as hatred and prejudice can so negatively affect our youth. It was a reminder to me that these attitudes are harmful not only to society as a whole, but specifically to young people who live with families of same-sex partners. These children love their parents unconditionally...their sexuality is not a factor in how they view and care for them.
On the ship, everyone felt safe, accepted and loved. Off the ship, they were shamed, humiliated and condemned.
Sometimes, I feel philosophies and beliefs can neglect to take into account basic humanity and instead promote ignorance, distrust and intolerance.
It doesn't have to be that way.
"Opinions founded on prejudice are always sustained with the greatest of violence."
~Hebrew Proverb
Nature Connections
-
Here's one you'll love...
Sherry at Living and Learning Now is hosting a monthly meeting of *Nature
Connections*.... all Mamas are invited to share photos o...
15 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment