


On Wednesday, we spent the afternoon celebrating our friend Ali's 13th Birthday with several home/un-schooling friends in Barrie, Ontario at Queen's Park.
We have long-awaited this celebration as Lisa and I often spoke in amazement of the fact Ali was turning 13 on his next birthday while we were on the road together. Another year is always a big deal in the lives of our children-but wow-when one of the kids in our group is becoming a teenager, that's a colossal event-life and family - altering! :) It's a whole new world for us as parents and I'm not completely ready to face all that it entails! Lucas will be 12 in November and that's awfully close to teenage-hood to me!
Needless to say it was a great success with several families there to extend their best wishes and share food and play. We were excited that Lisa included Daniel in the day (our nephew). This was the first time we've taken Daniel on a major outing. He had no problems throwing himself into the fun of the day and you wouldn't have known that he was meeting these people for the first time. It was great to have him along-and I must say, hearing him call me 'Auntie Laurie' was terribly endearing. We'll look forward to bringing him along for more good times in the future.
I enjoyed reconnecting with my peers and gathering their words of wisdom, frustration and joy related to life, society and the choices we make to be with our kids everyday. It's a great reminder to me that there are so many people who are there to discuss, share and support each other and that they aren't too far away!
Happy 13th Birthday Ali! I hope you have a year that brings you much happiness, tons of creatures and lots of adventures!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment