Monday, March 16, 2009

More of Saturday with Daddy...
















Before heading to the hockey game on Saturday, we spent the day touring around. I went to a Native Art Fair in the morning while Jeff and the boyz went to Cost Cutters for haircuts. It was nice to have some 'me' time, perusing the goods...This was supposed to be a juried art fair as per the description...and while there were some nice booths, it was essentially a glorified flea market. Nonetheless, it was nice to meet some great local artists and get some geodes from Quartzite for the boyz and Noah. Incidentally,  have to say I noted the lines on a few of the t-shirts for sale including: 'Hit me, it's the only way I will learn' and 'Don't make me break my probation'. Hmmm...interesting choices to highlight...

Anyways, afterwards we went to Phoenix and drove around downtown, then headed to the Deer Valley Rock Art Center to check out the Hedgpeth Hills petroglyph site. This location was created to preserve the 1500 ancient petroglyphs made by people hundreds, perhaps thousands of years ago. 

The kids were excited as they were given the task of a scavenger to find several petroglyphs on the path...the idea that if they found them all, they would get a small prize. Once outside, we noticed how blackened many of the rocks are, the petroglyphs, the yellow flowers in bloom, birds, squirrels and two special gardens. We all looked carefully for the rock art and finally, we sighted all of the pictures. The kids won glow in the dark plastic insects. :) Finally, I found a new mug at the Glyph Shop. I had been looking for one for a few weeks since I broke my only other one ... I found the same mug as I had originally, just with the name of this place instead of the Birch Aquarium :) 

Then, we headed toward Glendale to check out the shops, have lunch and get closer to the game. The Glendale Avenue area has many antique shops, a pretty park, a bead museum and a great comic book store called, Drawn to Comics. Jeff was thoroughly impressed by this shop owner and exclaimed that this was the best customer service experience he's ever had in his life. He said but for this service, he likely wouldn't have made a purchase. The boys loved the Star Wars Comics and Lucas was found walking and reading simultaneously- I saved him from at least one pole and a tree! 

No comments: