


I forgot to add these photos from our second visit to the Guelph Lake trail off of Victoria Rd.
I am amazed at what can be done and seen within a one hour walk by the water on an overcast chilly day!
The boys were called to climb of course and shoes were ditched quite readily. They walk and play a little too close to the rushing water for my liking. Yet, their lack of fear, sense of adventure and capabilities do not surprise me anymore and instead INSPIRE me. I admire their ability to take risks and do things I would never even think to do!
Sometimes, it is still a work in progress for me to let go and trust-especially when facing potential risk to life and limb! ( I do have my boundaries) But, I recognize now, more than ever, how important it is for them to try things and to test themselves...to interact with their environment in ways that interest them.
If I try to control every inch of what they want to do, their motivation and joy is extinguished and I insert a dose of fear related to whatever it is I am trying to stop.
This extends to other areas of their lives too, of course. The use of knives, hatchets, tools, fire-building, camping outside when it is 0 degrees Celcius and anything really, that they want to attempt.
So, go ahead throw off your shoes and climb! Chop wood for the fire or your fort! Whittle that stick! Create the fire for us to warm ourselves at! Light the match for the candles! Take things apart and put them back together! Get your camping gear out even if I think it's crazy cold! :)
Go for it!
Boys, if you need me I'm here... and if I can't help, I will find someone who can. I trust in your ability to know what your capable of and that you will learn what you need to when you need to!
"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
~Friedrich Nietzsche
No comments:
Post a Comment