Monday, November 23, 2009

it's in the little things


Me: I don't think I have any Christmas music here. I'm not sure how I'll get some.

Matt: That's easy, just search on Christmas music online and download it.


Everyday, the boys remind me in their own ways how they apply what they are learning-and more than that, what is important to them. It can be in an observation, a conversation, a book choice, a picture, lyrics to a song they write or within the context of their natural play. In fact, I discover so much about what they 'know' by watching and listening to their imagination games. As an example, yesterday Matt and Josh were playing happily with little dudes from playmobil's farm set. I was amazed to hear how they integrated their experiences from Kim's farm into their dialogue. One example, was they had to make pumpkin juice from scratch and that it had to be organic. :) Also, I get a glimpse of what they see as right and wrong as well as their sense of social etiquette through this type of play.

Another recent example of a 'little thing' came about when Matt was signing his name on a page he did about time with curls and swirls. He has always liked to do funky things with his name. Matt is so pleased with his creations! Such a stark contrast to the rigidity of my upbringing at school where everything had to be neat and tidy and uniform. I see Matt's creative expression as a symbol of his freedom and the ability to express himself as an individual. It gives me quiet delight and puts a smile on my face.


No comments: