Had an invigorating and adventurous walk with Maddy and Josh at the end of July. (Forgot to post pics until now) We headed out to Crawford Lake as it's one of our favourite Halton Region Conservation Areas, plus, Maddy hadn't been there before, so we wanted to share it with her.
On this day we walked about 4 km., starting with a walk around the lake and then into the forest along the Bruce Trail. We saw the Nassagaweya Canyon - Indian words for the 'meeting of two rivers'...being the Sixteen Mile and Bronte Creeks. We imagined that in the fall, it would be an even more spectacular view with all the gorgeous trees.
Just before seeing the Canyon though, we were on the 'Moccasin Trail'... filled with trees and filtered sunlight... it was so calming. We stopped at a sign that explained how First Nations peoples do not see Thanksgiving as an annual event, but rather a way of life. They revere the trees and a traditional Iroquoian Thanksgiving address goes like this:
The Trees
We give thanks to the trees.
You give us shelter and fruits of many kinds.
Your beauty is ever-changing.
I love that idea...that Thanksgiving is not just a 'one off' event every year... but that gratitude for the trees, for nature is a constant...everyday.
As we walked, we saw butterflies, bright blue berries, wild raspberries, wild flowers and moss. We walked on paths and felt like real hikers on the rocky terrain...having to focus more on our steps along those parts...a challenge...but lots of fun!
We bought berries and peaches on the way home. The best peaches we'd ever had!
Looking forward to our next hike!
NB: I had other pics to post, but I have just reached my limit here on blogger. I will have to purchase more space if I want to add more. :( Hmmm, what to do?
No comments:
Post a Comment